View Single Post
Old 2013-02-01, 23:02   Link #444
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I do, because I like stories that actually respect some degree of continuity.
When a story suddenly removes a character in unceremonial fashion (i.e. without closure), there's the feeling that something is missing, so yeah, I kind of get your point.

Quote:
Bashing someone for being a loser and beating them up for being a loser are two different things. Then again, I bash characters for being badly written and not solely for living up to some kind of standard.
I found this particularly interesting when people were comparing Haru from Accel World and Kirito from SAO. So people complain that Haru was too wimpy, and yet complain that Kirito was TOO powerful.

I'm not sure if these guys should live up to the same standard since they are heroes of action anime, but yeah, I'm fairly certain that I would dislike a character for not meeting my expectations. But I guess I have too low standards for a main character, so I might like the character that most people don't, but not the character that they do.

Quote:
It's quite sexist against both genders and actually does the opposite of empowerment though I'd imagine how some might see it that way. In many of these cases the guy doesn't fight back, so it's not particularly empowering to see that a female can beat on a guy... that's not capable of fighting back.
But what if the guy was taught to never beat up a girl for chivalric reasons (and sometimes, not even then)? Sanji from One Piece is a particularly depressing example, since it goes to the point that he can't fight women in a series that's heavy on the action side.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote