Thread: Nintendo Wii
View Single Post
Old 2006-09-14, 22:22   Link #95
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
I'm on the fence myself. While the Wii will win the beginning of this coming gen, I think the PS3 will win the second half once developers really figure out how to program for it. As far as launch titles, there are several that have me interested. In particular, I *think* Resistance, Heavenly Sword, and the new Genji are all supposed to be launch titles. Basically, if you have an action game (among other things) that gets an average rating above 7.5, you can guarantee that I'll have fun. I've also just started working a real full-time job, so I have the cash to afford all 3 consoles.

Like you, though, I'm a tad bit hesitant about buying one of the first PS3's- especially seeing what happened with the first 360's. At this point, you've got as good a chance at guessing what I'll do as I do. Eventually I'll definitely have a PS3, but I'm uncertain about launch.
I apologize to everyone for jacking the thread to talk about the PS3...this will be my only post on it in this thread, promise.

Resistance is all but guaranteed as a launch title I believe. I'm not sure about Genji, but Heavenly Sword was originally slated to be a launch title, but has now been moved to launch window release. Heavenly Sword is probably the title most interesting to me at the moment, and while Resistance looks to be good, I've never truly liked FPS games on console due to the dual-analog control (which is why I'm excited at what the Wii can offer for FPS games, like Metroid Prime 3: Corruption). That and I'm worried about the possible bundles that retailers might put out, like they did with the 360, that basically forces you to buy not only the hardware, but a bunch of accessories and games (a lot of launch games are less than stellar after all...) that you may not want (or may not want right away since it'll put a big dent in your wallet).

And yeah, that's exactly it. The first 360s had quite a bit of trouble out of the gate with things like overheating and disc scratching...I'm afraid of that happening with the PS3. While Sony will no doubt replace defective systems, I'd still rather not take the chance. Like you, I know I'll get one eventually, I'm just not sure if it'll be at launch or maybe 6 months down the road. I'll probably still be on the fence about it up until Nov 16...maybe even Nov 17...
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote