View Single Post
Old 2003-12-09, 00:20   Link #199
TheBlueOne
Da da da di da da da

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Hey, democracy is great. But at what cost? We've lost something, that something that cannot be regained, due to Western civilization. I cannot fully describe what we've lost...it's the sense of being...hmm...it's kind of like the feeling where you can't find real remote control for the TV and all you have is a universal remote (bad example I know, it's the best I can describe). [[...snip...]] And, as we have gone through a rapid pace of "modernizing," we have problems of the old AND the problems of the new as well. We are very tired, but unfortunately, we cannot slow down.
I had a long reply to this, but MozillaFirebird ate it (curse my usage of nightly builds!).

Basically, I pointed out that a lot of people around me have seem to have similar feelings. I talked about my questioning of communication technology and how it seems to be pulling us apart instead of bringing us together (which makes me something of a traitor to my fellow computer science students).I talked my roomate who's tired of all the hard work to get a good job (I go to a top 10 school in the states, and it's way too cut-throat for my tastes). I talked about another friend who wonders if the world's minute to minute sense of time (instead of day to day or season to season) is a positive thing.

I ended with an preemptive apology in case that the fellings of the people around me were totally different from what kj1980 was talking about.