View Single Post
Old 2011-10-15, 20:35   Link #86
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Himari's falling out with Double H still hasn't been fully explored, but I imagine that her family's reputation could have something to do with it. If that's the case, I can see why she'd be conflicted about whether or not to make contact with them again.
I think Himari left the school two years ago and the kids only found out about their parents three years ago so the timeline doesn't quite match up but that's what I'm thinking now as well. Maybe it was a combination of bullying from her friends and getting sicker that made Himari leave school? I kinda liked how Himari seemed down later in the episode, maybe she's realized that she's living on borrowed time and between that/whatever happened with her and the other girls she's started to give up on ever getting back to a normal life?

Also, something I've been thinking about for a while, while it's not doing it as much as Utena did, Penguindrum has really been subverting the "prince protects/saves the princess, everything is happy ever after" trope. Here we don't see the guys going after girls but the girls (Ringo, Masako) going after the guys (Tabuki, Kanba) and sometimes it seems like the girls don't really see the guys as actual people but rather as prizes for themselves. Just liking how it's a gender flipped version of the trope and it's not being portrayed as a good thing that those two girls are willing to do/give up so much just for a prize.