View Single Post
Old 2013-05-06, 20:56   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
The thing is, it is quite difficult to cater to all age groups. Don't you think what a 4 year old watches may seem boring to 10 and 12 year old children?
There can be a considerable difference even between 10 and 12.

Let's talk about the four-year-old first. Reading subtitles is going to be a challenge for most kids that age or even older. One of the reasons I think Chi makes sense is that the language is quite simple, so even the subtitles use a lot of basic words in simple sentences. Anything beyond that is going to be a major challenge to a four-year-old and likely to leave him bored.

The problem is that few series that appeal to children of that age have been dubbed into English. Anime licensors serve an audience of teens and adults and choose their properties accordingly. Once in a while a show gets licensed in R1 that targets kids, but they are rare. Mahou Shoujotai Arusu is a good show for kids, but I didn't recommend it because the cast is almost entirely female, while the OP is asking about shows for boys. Angelic Layer might suffer from the same problem.
Spoiler for How appropriate is Angelic Layer?:

One show none of us have yet mentioned that is entirely appropriate, especially for the older boys, is Space Brothers. It's set in the near future and tells the story of two brothers who want to be astronauts. The creators expect kids to be watching because it airs in family viewing hours on the weekend, but the story itself is fairly mature. Most of the characters are in their 20's and 30's or even older, though there are a variety of flashback scenes with the brothers when they were around 12-14. Like all Crunchyroll shows, it is streamed with subtitles.

I'll also recommend the movie Summer Wars which has aspects that might appeal to everyone from four on up. It also has a dub. Buy the Blu-ray if you have a player; it's worth it.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote