Thread: Photographs
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-06, 14:17   Link #75
EtherNEZ
AIR is good for you

You can always guarantee that wildlife photos will provide much amusement....

Anyway, continuing the night theme, here are some of my astro photographs. These push my S602 to the extreme of it's light capturing capabilities (Well the star shot one does at least). Lunar shots actually need to be underexposed a lot more than you would think. It's easy to take a picture of the moon and end up with a featureless white 'blob'

The next one took a full 10 second exposure at ISO400 sensitivity (I could have used ISO1600 but it's too noisy). Just goes to show you how good the human eye is at picking up photons..... . This has been Histogram adjusted to 'compact' the luminance space in the image, allowing the stars to appear more clearly. This is why there are blotches in the sky which should be completely black - especially where I took this, a long way away from any towns.

It's a shot of the constellation of Ursa Major , the "Great Bear'', also known as the 'Plough' or 'Big Dipper'. The second star from the left can be seen to have a companion. This is the periodic eclipsing binary of Alcor and Mizar. This constellation has some historical significance in the field of navigation as the last two stars on the right can be used to find the 'Pole Star'. Very useful

EtherNEZ is offline   Reply With Quote