Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-27, 13:39   Link #206
darkcloud

Quote:
dunno where some of the info you guys are providing are sourced from. But my experience in Japan is. First, Learn the phrase "(insert destination) doku desu ka?".
Secondly, memorize the Kanji for your city you are staying at. Third, The train stops running at 11:00pm. The green line stops are 10:00pm. So if you planning on going more than 7 stop be prepared to sleep at the train stop till 5:00am.
If you're in Tokyo you don't need to really know that phrase.... It's easy to find people who know English there.. Infact, I found someone who spoke in english in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hokkaido (Hakodate). Just go to a train station and you should be ok....

.....Which green line? You mean in Tokyo? Cross country trains? What? In any case ever train line I travelled on stopped running at 24:00.... Even if you did miss the last train you could stay in a capsule hotel.... That's what they were intended for....

[quotePurchase a train pass at the window. They have 1 day pass and 1 week pass. Trust me it will save you alot of money than shelling out 200-700 yen each time.[/quote]

Or if you are just visiting the country then get a JR Rail pass..... Well that's if you are going cross country.....

[quoteThe toliet is not what you will be used to. Remember this is Japan, public restroom toliet requires you to squat, to do a number 2. Number 1 you can still stand but your shoes may get wet.[/quote]

...........Yeah some toilets occasionally are the tradition Japanese style...... all the ones I found are modern though.. My girlfriend was telling me a lot more female toilets do have traditional style toilets though..... It isn't really a worry though. Everywhere that served food had a modern toilet and places that had traditional toilets also had a seperate place for modern ones....

Quote:
Don't get mad at the acarda if someone challenges you. The gaming system over there are far more advance, The acarda we have in the US the 2 control are side by side, in Japan if very different. You might be challenge without ever seeing your opponents faces till you walk to the other side. (of coruse we're not childrens)
That's standard everywhere isn't it? Here in England people sit directly next to you and challenge you... It's the way things are done..... We also have some old machines which are opposite each other...... Is this really not done in the US? :-/

Quote:
Last piece of advice. Don't walk in the park alone at night. Trust me on this. If you see a couple walking in the park, chances are eventually they will dissappear into the brush and you might interruprt their good time. (I was embrassed the first time I did that). Oh and always have at least 7000 yen with you, never know when you will need to used the taxi.

..........Ermmmm I never saw this once............... Also whhy would this stop you walking alone? Were there no love hotels in the area you stayed in? :-/
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote