View Single Post
Old 2019-06-21, 12:19   Link #32
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well it's also possible that I'm more sensitive than normal because I've seen this sort of thing in a lot of other right wing circles, but like I said earlier I haven't pulled my finger on the trigger just yet. The fact that the author portrayed the Reiss King as respectable as he did leaves me a bit unsure of what Isayama is trying to say.

But I have no doubt that Isayama IS trying to say something. Collectively speaking there are far too many "coincidences" for this not to be the case. Japanese foreign policy has in recent times been a lot about tensions with neighbouring countries because of historical crimes and a debate on Japan's pacifist stance. These are mirrored in Eldians being persecuted for ancient history and a historical king that retreated and opted for non-aggression against the Marleyans. This combined with the very patriotic slant towards the story's military, the portrayal of Nazi policies and the depiction of respectable characters being based historical Japanese military figures makes it hard for me to believe that a story like this can include so much politics and NOT be making political statements.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote