Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-11, 10:16   Link #1018
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If there is no professional karuta structure, that solves a puzzle in this show that has bothered me from the beginning, namely why are the two top players, Shinobu and Suo, so young? Akira's dad probably became Meijin in his forties or fifties given his age in the story and how long he had been at the top of his game. The top Shougi players in Shion no Ou are adults as well. The Meijin is in his twenties I believe, and Shion's foster father is at least forty and perhaps a decade older.

Yamamoto Yumi ("Yumin"), the Queen before Shinobu, is 24 according to this wiki. We don't learn much about her history except to know that she is not married. In particular nothing is said about whether her position atop the karuta ranks provided her with a source of income that she lost when Shinobu beat her. If she has a job, I don't see any mention of it via a Google search.

Given that Go and Shougi have managed to create professional systems, I can only assume that the lack of one for karuta reflects its (pre-Chihayafuru) obscurity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Personal ambitions aside, she is the club president.
No, she's not. Taichi is. The club advisor specifically excluded Chihaya from consideration as club president back in the first season, and Taichi continues to be referred to as "Prez" in current episodes. Everyone, Chihaya included, is happy with this arrangement. Being President required Taichi to speak at the recruitment event, where he became the target of Sumire.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote