Thread: Licensed Heroic Age
View Single Post
Old 2007-04-02, 21:49   Link #61
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
In an era of stuff like Idolm@ster Xenoglossia, it's almost a relief to see something like this. It's hard to put my finger on, but it just gives off a more serious, earnest vibe to me, as if it's trying to be more like the epic sci-fi shows of yore than anything else. That wins big points in my book. The focal point of the mecha is balanced out by other design elements like the Bronze race and so forth.
I agree, there isn't enough epic scifi settings like this (judging from the first episode). I think part of it comes from the wondeful sense of scale that's absent in a lot of scifi anime recently (the space scenes and crater caused as the mech launched itself in the air for example) and the different races (not just humans and another type of humans), it just looks like the stage is much more than just one world or one area of space. There aren't enough scifi shows that make the stage "bigger" than just one planet (usually Earth) anymore.

Like you said it's just got that "air" about it that other supposed epic scifi sagas don't project. The Starcraft-esque multi-races war mentioned by others definitely keep my hopes up for some truely epic battle among the Tribes and the first episode didn't dissappoint me.

Since I can't make out the story yet I'll say I really enjoyed the high quality visuals, including some seriously breathtaking background work (the depth of vision is simply awesome and the detail of the wrecked ship when it's behind the characters as well) really drove home the sense of scale that I was impressed by. Good "big" background music too.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-02 at 22:05.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote