View Single Post
Old 2011-06-22, 03:01   Link #60
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Actually, Yaoi is also known as Boys' Love, and both of them refer to homoerotic and homoromantic male relationships (1).
Firstly, I had already read the English wiki page. Secondly, did you read what I posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
The Western fandom, as far as I know, tends to use 'yaoi' as the umbrella term, though a lot of Asian fans seem to have started using 'BL'. It seems like people are starting to use the two terms interchangeably in the English-speaking fandom, although I think there is still something of an East/West divide.
The reason I regard it as an East/West divide is because I went to a convention in Australia last year where they still predominantly used the term 'yaoi' rather than 'BL'. Most of the people I know who are actually aware of the term 'BL' are Asian or of Asian descent, and the main term used on the June manga website is still 'yaoi'.

Quote:
And listing a genre underneath a demographic loses all meaning upon the realization of the fact that there's Yaoi out there which targets a male audience.
Did you read the English wiki page properly?
Quote:
BL creators and fans are careful to distinguish the genre from bara, including "gay manga", which are created by and for gay men.[1][2] However, some male manga creators have produced BL works.
Spoiler for tl;dr:

====

Basically, in terms of manga, yaoi/BL is predominantly aimed at female audiences (specifically, at fujoshi), and so is yuri, though a small proportion of yuri is aimed at male audiences.

Anime-wise, I have no idea, as I don't normally watch shows of either genre. I would assume though, that the lack of more explicit scenes on TV anime is a barrier to the appeal of animated BL works (although they do seem to be becoming more common). A far more important consideration, however, are BL drama CDs and BL games. That's where most fujoshi - many of whom seem to be seiyuu fans - get their fixes from. i.e. why would they bother with anime that censors stuff when they can get fully voiced scenes elsewhere?

Going back to the original questions you posed though (now that I've been drawn into the discussion despite just wanting to correct some misperceptions that would affect the answers given)
Quote:
...That's where I got stuck. Both of these romantic sub-genres feature taboo relationships, so why does there seem to be more audience/reader acceptance of one set of gender-monotony and not the other? Is there some kind of greater psychology at work or are more people just really turned on by guy-on-guy than they are girl-on-girl? I mean, there has to be a reason I can walk into any random bookstore, ask for yaoi, and be directed to Loveless, then ask for yuri, and be directed to books on some Russian dude, right? Right?!
I take it that you're talking about the West. In which case, the simple answer probably is that most stories in that genre haven't been brought over yet, for whatever reason. It could also be that most yuri falls under 'ladies comics' and not all that many of these have been licensed either, at least compared to the broader range of shounen and shoujo titles.

Not that I know what would happen if you walk into a Japanese bookstore in Japan and ask for yuri, having never tried. Though it is easy to notice the difference in, shall we say, market penetration between yuri and BL even in Japan. Every bookstore I've ever walked into there has an obvious BL section.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-06-22 at 22:37.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote