Thread: Higurashi Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-07, 12:39   Link #1949
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Maddy View Post
Well, if any other anime company obtains the license (which I highly doubt will happen), they would probably do a re-dub than track down the original dub-cast.

And I do have to agree with you, the dub wasn't that bad. I wouldn't say it was good, but it wasn't the worst dub ever created like what so many people have said. They're like "OMG THIS DUB IS SO HORRIBLE MY EARS ARE BLEEDING" which I think is just them being sheep, they're just following everyone else who think the dub of Higurashi sucks.
No, it's just that the dub is so terrible that it makes my throat itchy...

Some parts weren't so bad, and the voice actors did improve over the course of the series (Rena's VA improved the most). Some of the voice actors were consistently good, particularly those for Keiichi, Mion, and Miyo (and to a small extent Tomitake and Akasaka). But Arc 1 sounds abysmal, like "throw a high-definition chair across a room" bad. Then there's Rika's VA, Rebecca Forstadt. I had the pleasure of meeting her at her last convention panel about 1.75 years ago, and while she is pretty much just a sweet little old lady, she really can't act outside of her vocal range (aka Dark Rika). Furthermore, Forstadt has never actually gone through the story of Higurashi, so not only does she not realize that purpose of why Rika acts as she does, but she finds the series overall very distressing (she described the series to the audience simply as friends killing one another - nothing else to contribute).

While it's certainly possible to track everyone down, it's just not worth it for many of the roles, and even then, the story is just too dark/polarizing to keep their interest. There have been multiple discussions in this forum pertaining to who would be best suited to play each character, as well as the implications of an entire re-dub as far as the fan base is concerned (aka "do Higurashi fans accept paying up to $120 for season 1 of a series that is now irrelevant compared to the entire re-dub of seasons 1 and 2?").

The simple fact is that it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to obtain a global license and the necessary VA's, not to mention access to professional sound studios and audio editors. None of this is going to be possible without direct help from the community, so unless everyone wants to shell out $100+ more dollars to see their vision of an english Higurashi realized, then this will remain a pipe dream. Who knows, maybe the release of the final manga chapters by Yen Press will spark another surge and get the ball rolling, but for now, it's all just theory.