Thread: Joshiraku
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-28, 19:16   Link #219
Midonin
Last Engage

It's been a while, but I welcome the return of Dark Kigu. Usually the second sketch of any episode is the weakest, but I found this episode's to be stronger than usual. Or maybe that has to do with Marii wearing a hat and overalls that accentuate her ass. I can honestly say I like that look on her. The discussion of what kanji to use to represent someone was a lot of fun to watch. If what Kukuru said about her backstory is true, then... she's a perfectly normal Kumeta character.

How the first segment went from the pentathalon to Marii being a shut in made perfect sense, even if the beginning and end points are almost entirely unrelated. All the things they said about delinquents were spot on, including the kanji. Most of my knowledge on this comes from Axanael and the character of Sakura, but that's the power of media. Information absorbed in one medium can prove useful in another.

The third segment was a great exercise in subtle humor. It's like the Japanese version of living on an ancient Indian burial ground. The bright, ordinary dressing room is creepy as hell. The final twist of Kigu being a robot - explaining her sudden motherly demeanor with the apron - was funny (Kigu Beam!). For ~24 minutes, it felt like it was over in no time at all.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote