View Single Post
Old 2018-03-12, 14:18   Link #2136
Dragon_Slayer_X

Well after waiting for quite some time, i finally managed to play Cold Steel 2. Been playing it for last few days slowly and now almost at the end of the infernal castle. It's been a good ride. Despite looking at some videos and already spoiling myself because of the long wait, the game still managed to make me go through waterworks several times. I don't remember which game last managed to do that, Final Fantasy 10 and Type-0 comes to mind though but that's quite some time ago. I like the game and characters too much maybe, even more so that Sky series. I kind of lost interest in Ao because of the annoying comparisons from some fans(?) tbh.

Well playing the game has solidified my belief that those who hate CS/Sen series are either biased towards Sky/Ao games way too much and don't want to give CS too much of a chance or some of them are just plain retarded. I played Sky FC/SC (unfinished but i more or less know what happens in the end.......gotta get back to finishing it sometimes), but i like CS better.

For all the "Rean always whines" or "Rean doesn't have any personality" or whatever BS complains i have seen, i have yet to find one instance when Rean was actually whining. For all the stuff that he has gone though over several games and no how many times he has been put down, he has always managed to pick himself back up with a little encouragement or support or by himself.

Fear of the unknown is a strong factor. Joshua at least knows where his abilities comes from, Rean doesn't know that and nobody clearly tells him that either, so he has reasons to worry and be afraid. His fear actually became true in CS3. But i hope he will get back up again, like he always does. Maybe this is the reason they don't try to recruit him to Ouroborus, Rean have never given in to despair completely. Hopefully he will manage to overcome it again in CS4.

As for the personality issue, people really need to play the game. Rean's interaction with the people in Ymir and several friends/classmates/acquaintances proves them wrong in every account. Seriously some of his dialogues or thoughts are quite fun.

Example:

Millium wants to cooks.

Rean (in his head): The only way Millium is cooking is over my dead body.

The last scene with Rean's adoptive parents was quite touching as well. Props to Sean Chiplock for the amazing voice acting.

At least he is well liked over there considering he is in the top 3 in the poll along with Olivier and Estelle.

Now comes the "Class VII always gets saved" issue. People really like to exaggerate this one. I mean only 3-4 instances can be complained about but haters act like that happens all over the game.

Lacan saving the party was completely unnecessary though. A magic knight shouldn't be able to give them in trouble at that point. The situation could have been better if Lacan fought with the Magic Knight initially, weakened it while Class VII came and finished it off.

The first 2 fights in infernal castle also tend to raise complains since at that point Class VII+Sara is strong enough to take down Bleublanc, Duvallie, Xeno and Leo. The situation could have been shown as a stalemate instead of Class VII being in trouble and then help arrives.

But even that can be explained as Class VII has been fighting Enforcer-level bosses non-stop while climbing the Tower. From saving the Royal family, fighting Altina, breaking the barrier and going through the Boss Rush, they are bound to be exhausted. Considering the situation, Class VII managing to make the bosses kneel (even Macburn before he goes full demon) is a accomplishment in itself.

My favorite is still the "Escape" scene though. It's satisfying to see that several bosses have to zerg rush Rean until he reached his time limit.

After finishing the game once, i will be replaying it with max bonding points first. I always liked these bonding events courtesy to Persona series and Luminous Arc series.

Also putting Jusis and Machias together sure liven things up.

Jusis (Noble Command): Now is our time. Don't waste this chance
Machias: SHUT UP!

It's going to be rather painful wait for another 1-2 years for CS3 on PC and i don't even want to think how CS4 spoilers are going to torture me.
Dragon_Slayer_X is offline   Reply With Quote