View Single Post
Old 2009-04-19, 16:53   Link #69
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

No la! Why the hell are you comparing IB vs Magic to IB vs ESP? That's just stupid. I mean, come on, surely you have noticed that magical attacks in this series DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES OF PHYSICS. To make stuff simple:
  • Touma can negate Stiyl's flames because they are MAGICAL in nature, just like Dragon's Breath, Izzard's Ars Magna and w/e.
  • Touma can cancel Misha's water attack because it was held in place and manipulated by MAGIC (I could even argue that that's not really water, just some MAGICAL stuff that looks like water), just like Sherry's Golem (debris held together and powered or controlled by MAGIC) and Index's Walking Church (a purely MAGICAL wardrobe).
  • Touma can dismantle Mikoto's iron chain-whip because it was being held together by electricity which is constantly being supplied by her. Likewise, her electrical bolts are being negated in the same way.

However!
  • Touma cannot, or SHOULD NOT be able to catch a rail gun bullet (the coin) without suffering any serious injuries. If you don't know what a rail gun is or how it works, refer to this or this.
  • Touma should not be able to block any ranged and AoE (area of effect) attacks Accelerator throws at him. Ranged attacks include all matter-based projectiles (from rocks to big balls of plasma) and laser-like (photon manipulation) attacks.

With this, I say the highly controversial scene in the Railgun Manga to be a mistake on the author's part due to not knowing how a railgun works. Basically, if Touma can block a railgun bullet, then he should have no trouble canceling the velocity of Accelerator's I-beams. If you don't know how Accelerator's Redirection ability works, here's a quick description:
Basically, he is able to modify the Velocity (Speed and Direction) and Acceleration (change in Velocty over Time) of all matter and energy in a bubble around him (which also acts as his protective barrier).