View Single Post
Old 2010-04-17, 23:38   Link #24451
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Because only so many names exist in the world. When thinking up characters unless you want to spend hours searching for names it's easier to use a name that you hear more commonly. At least you know that those are actual names and it won't be weird that some one is called that.

Of course there are series that have really unique names you never hear used by anyone else, most notably Gundam. Char Aznable? Garrod Ran? Gym Ghingnham? Athrun Zala? Really, I wonder where the creators come up with some of these

Well, in terms of Nanoha fanfiction, since the setting has moved to Mid Childa the rule of thumb is to use car names for OCs. People like me who know nothing about cars usually choose from more well known models and companies.

That time is now so far as I'm concerned. No individual ideas are original anymore, instead it's all about how you combine those ideas together. Repeats of themes sometimes stem from seeing other people do it and you deciding you want to give it a try. For example, I read Satashi's Hayate/Yuuno stuff so I wanted to write my own take on that pairing.

Page claim for Hayate/Yuuno!
Point taken. With regards to the sequel that I'll eventually be working on (after BlazerS is in the can), I've only got a few OC's worked out so far. In terms of cars for names...the only one that came up to mind is "Aston" like the "Aston Martin" (which...in my opinion is a very good looking car). Besides that...I sometimes like to use movies as references to help with my story. Although I either try to paraphrase or make note as to what I'm taking a quote or line, or perhaps...even a scenario from as I'm doing this.

The only thing that has got my mind going with regards to this sequel...is that when I think of "experiments gone wrong" and "military property now target of termination"...I like to think more on Ludlum's Jason Bourne character (even though I haven't read the books yet, though they sound very interesting).
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote