View Single Post
Old 2011-06-27, 22:11   Link #749
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Vampire anime are typically only liked by otaku, which is partly why a show like Blood+ bombed in the Doroku timeslot but sold alright in discs (not near what's acceptable for Doroku/Nichigo, but decent for anime in general). Even if you don't consider Shiki an otaku show (which it is) it's obviously not intended for the young female demographic that noitaminA of old catered to, unless you want to use the NatsuxTouru implications as an argument.
For me, the fact that the original story is by Ono Fuyumi (who also wrote 12 Kingdoms and Ghost Hunt) is a far more important factor in targeting the noitaminA audience. In accordance with her other works, I'd assume most people who have read/heard about her works would be more likely to call Shiki a psychological (thriller?) rather than a typical vampire anime (Blood+; Vampire Bund etc).

edit: though I just remembered, the NatsunoxTohru factor could have been a pretty big factor, considering what I read about the Shiki event a few months ago...

Dunno whether Fujisaki Ryu being the manga artist would have had any effect - though it did for me, given that Houshin Engi is one of my favourite manga.

-----

Come to think of it, if most of the AS viewers thought that Shiki was a vampire anime aimed at otaku audiences, it's no wonder they were disappointed!

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-06-27 at 23:48.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote