Thread: Hyouge Mono
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-21, 21:18   Link #98
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm curious whether those banners are historically accurate.

I knew right away that Sasuke's brother was going to show him an image of the "Sacred Heart of Jesus." In my Catholic youth I attended a school named Sacred Heart. I'm dubious whether Hashiba will make good on his pledge to assist in proselytizing, though.

I'm still often lost trying to keep track of the enormous cast of characters in this show. I haven't had this much trouble since I first started watching Baccano!. In that case, though, we had both men and women, and the characters had pretty distinctive models. In Hyouge Mono, we just have men, and many of them have only rather subtle differences in appearance. Some day, if I have the ambition, I'll try to pull together a web page identifying the characters, rather like what Kaoru Chujo did for shows like Saiunkoku Monogatari.

I've also considered trying to edit the English in the subs. I appreciate the subbers desire to preserve the archaic styles of speech in the English versions, but some of the subtitles have glaring grammatical errors or lack clarity. Again, I don't know when I'll get to this, but if I do start this project, I could probably use some help. Someone who is fluent in both Chinese and English might be able to help by comparing Huzzah's subs to the Chinese ones in the Koei release.

The new OP seems almost a satire on what Westerners think Japanese music sounds like. I doubt that's the intention, but that's the impression I'm left with after hearing it a few times now.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote