View Single Post
Old 2010-04-28, 07:21   Link #9432
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
However I don't think that your usual detective like Miss Marple, Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot would be of any help in this story. If you try to solve this mystery like a detective would, you are probably deemed to fail.

I think Erika was meant to show that to us.
I disagree about miss Marple in particular. She'd be able to pump far more information out of Maria than anyone else. She'd probably even understand magic. Still, waxing poetic that character X or character Y is in some way detestable or worthy of praise is hardly much help -- we need to accept that once we came to this, and see what follows from it and what causes it. Especially with how important Maria seems to be in the whole mess.

As I pointed out above, Nanjo's statement that pretty much everyone on the island played a Beatrice-affirming prank for Maria's sake at one point or another fits well with them seeing a need to somehow cheer the girl up and recognising her life is actually quite pitiful. So I expect they knew. I seriously wonder if Rosa visited more often than once a year, even though I don't see any hints stating that.

I'm also very much concerned about Maria's name. Kinzo wanted a very different name for Maria, bur Rosa made it into Maria on her own -- notice, she doesn't say she picked a different name, and the name still shows Kinzo's insane design pattern. I suspect this means a single kanji or even a sub-kanji difference -- a missing or an added stroke, or something similarly subtle that produces a very different reading.

So once again -- is there anyone versed in Japanese well enough to suggest a possible original name?

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote