Thread: Licensed K (Anime project)
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-19, 13:35   Link #1231
Defade
寂しがりのひねくれ者

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I'll never, ever understand this complaint about K.
Gotta agree with kuromitsu here. It wasn't until after episode 6 that I looked through some side materials - and quickly lost my interest since I belong to the small part of the fandom that isn't all over HOMRA, lol. I had no problem understanding the story. As kuromitsu said, K is primarily a mystery more than anything, but I think that message probably flew over a majority of the audience's heads, who came in just expecting flashy action and nothing more.

The only thing vaguely resembling info dump in K is just Kuroh and Shiro's conversation in episode 3 regarding kings and clans - the rest of the worldview is revealed through a 'show, don't tell' method, and the mystery is slowly unraveled through various hints and foreshadowing in every episode. Some of them might not seem obvious at first, but to me, every revelation so far had made sense in the context of previous hints and clues. Heck, someone even theorized that Shiro fell through the roof of the gym after murdering Tatara as early as episode 4.

I think this problem seems to be rather prevalent in the anime audience today, who come into a multi-course meal like K and expect fast food. K takes its time to explore the center mystery of the series, and leaves us with only enough hints to fuel mass theorizing but not enough to reveal its hand too soon. Of course, there is nothing wrong with 'fast food' anime that have straightforward storytelling, and by no means am I using the term 'fast food' in a degrading manner - I am enjoying quite a few of them in this season -, but those types of anime are just fundamentally different from shows like K and expecting them to be the same will just bring disappointment.

I remember back when we showed episode 1 in my university's anime club. The major complaint seems to be 'the writers forgot the plot', which I personally found to be completely unwarranted. The first episode did exactly what it was supposed to and nothing more - introduce the rather huge cast of characters, explore the futuristic setting of the world, give us a little bit of exposition and a rather intriguing plot hook to chew on. However, if you were expecting to get information spoonfed to you in chewable little pieces, I'm afraid K just isn't that sort of show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
This is the kind of show that those who have been spoiled by stories that lack subtlety in uncovering plot threads may have dropped by Episode 3 or so.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Defade is offline   Reply With Quote