Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-20, 02:18   Link #751
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I never said karuta means the same thing to Taichi as it does for Chihaya & Arata.
I wasn't trying to imply that you had. That first statement was just a supporting statement for what I'd written before.

Quote:
Taichi wasn't being compared to Arata and Chihaya in this case he was being compared to everyone in the series. That only Taichi does not love karuta and is outside it. This is what I had an issue with.
Quote:
To be fair I don't think Hyperborealis was bashing Taichi or dislikes Taichi at all. But I did think the interpretation had an overly negative context and that is what I was responding to. I don't think Hyperborealis saw it as negative but I do. The idea that Taichi is outside karuta doesn't just separate him from Chihaya and Arata but from all the other characters in the series and I don't believe that is what the manga-ka is trying to say with his character.
I thought that hyperborealis brought it up in the context of the three of them being main characters: Taichi is the only one of the three who hasn't clearly shown that he 'loves' karuta (for whatever reason). I don't think hyperborealis claimed that all other characters clearly had a scene showing that they 'love' karuta for itself, but merely pointed out that it's strange that Taichi hasn't, given that so many side characters have.

In other words, the kind of love for karuta that hyperborealis is talking about is the very specific kind of loving karuta for its own sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
This is all evidence that in some sense Taichi is outside karuta. Karuta is the place where everything else that is important to him happens--Chihaya, becoming someone who does not run away, connecting with his childhood friends, finding independence from his mother, becoming a good leader for the Mizusawa team. But karuta itself and for its own sake is not what is important for Taichi.
My own position differs slightly, and is not much changed from what it was a year ago. To me, what separates Taichi from Arata and Chihaya (and some of the other characters) is that he has yet to fully understand the importance of karuta to himself. This issue is manifested in his inferiority complex, which often has him comparing himself to Chihaya and Arata, and which I think is a negative way for him to frame his relationship to the game. Actually figuring out what karuta means for him should help him frame it in a more positive way, and perhaps to say that he truly loves the game, no matter what happens (rather than just feeling really happy when he wins).

---

Quote:
I don't think I ignore Taichi's struggles at all. *snip* However his flaws are definitely made worse than they are by some people here so if I respond in an ultra positive way it is because of that.
True, your argument looks a lot more balanced with all that laid out.

---

I'm definitely looking forward to it plays out next week... (if only because I have skimmed the corresponding scene in the manga and am not very sure how to interpret it... )

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote