View Single Post
Old 2008-12-15, 14:23   Link #1747
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Ya know, I've never once paid attention to these arguments of how far, how fast, and how strong, because they never really needs to be justified. I could care less the exact km/h speed of which the characters fly because I don't see the point. While it is true that some level of realism is needed to keep things from getting absolutely ridiculous, using mathematical calculations based on visual data doesn't really work here. Pixels, frame rates, they are all poor examples of scaling. Hell, math exams use it all the time: "this graph is not to scale."

I know what you may say. If it's not to scale, then why draw it like that? Because viewers would like to see it. If Nanoha really is flying supersonic speeds, it's going to be damn hard to see her fly by and catch all the details. Also, viewing angle and perspective can alter perception. That launch height data at first glance is rather silly to me, since the angle from which we view it IS NOT LEVEL.

In other words, "lol physics."

This is especially so when MAGICAL GIRLS are involved (emphasis on magical), because really, physics takes a back seat. The show's purpose is to entertain, and if it means violating some laws of physics (Look at the Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes remake) to do so, then oh well. That's what Suspension of Disbelief is about.
Spoiler for lol SoD:
Now I return to writing about a character picking up a helicopter and beating a certain familiar to bits with it. Realistic? No. But it's entertaining. I hope.