View Single Post
Old 2012-10-12, 05:47   Link #35
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As Kaioshin Sama said, I think there's actually a lot of variety to anime today; even as someone who generally gravitates towards certain types of shows often perceived as popular, there are a lot more anime that don't interest me each season than those that do, which is good in a number of ways (first because it means there's lots of variety, and second because it means I'm not going to go broke wanting to buy everything ). I think it's fair to say that the anime industry of the past has moved on, and some people may have to move on along with it... but, in general terms, I would say that we seem to be in a pretty good place as far as variety goes at the moment.
It is, and the Anime/Manga industry puts out more variety then, say, American comic books.

That doesn't mean I'm not worried about the industry. Since 2008 the industry has both declined in output, and taken far less risks. There's a lot more sequels being put out, and a lot less original content (particularly expensive original content like Mecha.)

I think ~2005-2008 was a bit of a golden age for Anime. More anime was made, more quality anime was made, and more risky anime was made. 2006 in particular was an unparalleled year.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote