Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-14, 16:01   Link #4656
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Overall the reason why this is focusing on the "danger" of the situation or the "potential danger" as depicted is whether Miho acted appropriately. I don't think anyone here truly believes that in a true life or death situation we would condone not providing assistance. [Unless we are shown that historically in Senshado competitions people die and it is deemed culturally to be an acceptable risk in this world -- then it would mean our fundamental value system doesn't apply to the world at large, which does not appear to be the case] If we ever do truly come to the conclusion that it was truly truly dangerous, then we also must question the Senshado organization for why 1) the battle wasn't stopped (could be timing?) and 2) why the resulting win by Pravda was not annulled based on the circumstances.

That said, applying all our rules of reality to this anime is kind of flawed thinking, they are shooting "fake shells" at each other but no one ever has concussions? No smoke inhalation? Gunpowder burns? Explosions? A commander standing exposed outside of the hatch while fire is going on is OK? If we consider the potential of Miho getting struck directly by a "fake shell" being acceptable I'm not sure you can attribute the same amount of danger of real life situations to this show at all. That may be why we have such divergent views on the danger of the situation. There is no clear real life analogy here folks.

Let's kill that last sentence and I will vehemently agree. I don't think that part was clear at all.
It's actually crystal. Unless you believe there was an actual rescue crew just around the corner and Miho could best help by staying out of the way, she had nothing to gain by waiting.

Let's say I see someone choking on his food. I'm not trained in the Heimlich maneuver, or any kind of rescue thing, so it's questionable if I could help. It's also possible the actual danger is nil, and the guy will be fine on his own. None of that changes the fact that the more I wait, the more likely I won't be able to help because the guy will be too dead for it. Maybe he's doomed anyway, or safe anyway, but assuming he is between those two extremes, the earlier I attempt to help, the more likely I am to succeed.

Quote:
Okay, and we also agree here, so she didn't take the best action. I'm not sure about you but any athlete, martial artist or soldier would be reprimanded then, no? Kicked off the team?
For not taking the very best action? If you had to kick out anyone who ever fell short of perfection, there'd be no one left to play.

Besides, you're reaching. Miho may not have done the very best thing to rescue her team mates, but according to her detractors, what she did wrong was to try at all. To put her comrades' lives ahead of the game. Her supporters, OTOH, will argue that it doesn't matter if, a posteriori, we conclude that her help was unnecessary or if it was impossible to help to start with. What matters is that, based on what information she had, she had to try.

That's the crux of the disagreement.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote