Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-10, 18:02   Link #15654
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
For those of us trying to communicate via sarcasm on the Internets... there's an attempt to promulgate a font that makes it clear the content is sarcasm: Sartalics, a backleaning form of italics.

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...es.showArticle
http://sartalics.com/
You catch on. I will admit that a font for sarcasm would be useful, but in a sense it's sometimes fun for people to be unsure. That's one of the great things about satire, you can say many things all at once.

However the fact that I said people's dictatorship should give things away, at least to people who have heard all the marxist spiel before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I think it's pretty clear what this country, no this planet needs in a leader.
SIEG KAISER REINHARD!

More seriously, I think the weakness of the American system may in fact be rooted in what a lot of conservatives talk about IE the federal government being too powerful. I think a lot of problems would be solved in the US if more was devolved down to state governments, and the federal government only handled foreign policy and certain commonalities between states. Instead I would devolve all health, education and welfare down to the state level. Because states are so much smaller, they can be more responsive to the electorate. In effect I would loosen the United states on domestic matters to something like the EU. Of the big parts of the US budget the only part left would be the army, and certain smaller programs like NASA.

I think it would make for a more dynamic union, I think the ideal size for a country to be responsive to it's citizens needs is about 1 million-50 million people. The US is already half way there as individual states already have a lot of authority, it's only a matter of increasing that further.