View Single Post
Old 2012-02-13, 18:12   Link #34
VDZ

Am I the only one who gets the feeling Mei just triggered a bunch of death flags by being all happy and getting closer to the protagonist despite the dire circumstances, especially the scene where they made a lot of promises for 'some day'? (Promises to do something 'some day' in anime always become impossible due to circumstances; in horror, death is the most likely circumstance for ruining that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
I wonder what happened in 1983 though (Reiko's year) since it sounds like the calamity stopped? Was that the year the class trip was changed?
A bit of a wild guess...but I don't believe Ritsuko can't remember because of the curse. Rather, it's quite possible that she can't remember because she doesn't want to remember. The bird has been screaming 'Why, Rei-chan? Why?' since episode 1, so I'm suspecting she might've killed somebody or performed a similar unforgivable action. If Rei-chan found out who the dead person was and murdered him/her, then that would've stopped the calamity, given Reiko a traumatic experience she does not want to remember and caused the bird the repeat a creepy sentence over and over.

If there is any truth in this speculation, it gets worse; the bird says 'Rei-chan', which would imply that the victim was pretty close to Reiko, which would further explain the phrase (sudden murder of best friends tends to be met with surprise) and Reiko's inability/unwillingness to recall the event.