View Single Post
Old 2008-01-07, 03:10   Link #82
ToxicNarcotic
Fun Drunk

Send a message via AIM to ToxicNarcotic
I did Hung gar Kung fu when I was around 11-12ish for about a year and a half. I felt alot of traditional martial arts were simply too unrealistic in a fight situation so I quit. Did boxing for a few years but haven't done any martial arts lately. Been thinking about trying out bjj or wrestling for some grappling experience if my financial situation gets any better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
- The philosophy Lee developed, JKD, is the idea that you mix and match various martial arts. It's a good idea, however, the means by which Lee drew this conclusion is poor, and his following idea to abandon all traditional martial systems is likewise ultimately flawed.
The mixed martial arts philosophy has been around long before Bruce Lee. He just popularized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan
having seen a few fights in my time (this is what you get when your local pub is a dive). I have to say in IMO grapple based Martial Arts are more realistic in terms of real world use. Real world fights go one of two ways, one maybe two strikes thrown or it hits the deck and becomes a wrestle. Very rarely outside of organised competition have I seen a traditional style fight with people squaring up.
I agree that in practical use, grappling based MAs beat stand up by far. I've been in god knows how many situations where you got a buddy that's had plenty more than he should have drank, acting violent,rowdy, etc. and words aren't really effective. Cases like that you don't wanna just knock your buddy the fuck out, it'd be better to know some grappling to restrain him. Same could be said for an angry and violent spouse swinging fists around.

Aside from all that, 2007 was a crazy year in the MMA competition world, wasn't it?
-There were ssoooo many upsets this year, big ones like St. Pierre losing the title to Serra.
-The loss of Pride (really sucked, was more a Pride than UFC fan.)
-in a light weight title fight in the UFC both Sean Sherk and Hermes Franka test positive in the post fight urinalysis (come on!!! both the challenger AND defender?)
-Royce Gracie testing positive for illegal performance enhancing drugs,
-Nick Diaz's title win being overturned for testing positive for marijuana (while Gracie get's to keep his win when he tested positive for roids, go figure)
- Hughes vs Serra being cancelled after all the promotion
- and for the love of god we STILL didn't get to see Fedor vs Couture. Not only that UFC and Fedor don't seem to be making any leeway; it's so painful having to see such a great fighter (IMO the best heavyweight), fight such weak competition. I'd love to see him get into the UFC and steamroll all of them.
ToxicNarcotic is offline   Reply With Quote