View Single Post
Old 2010-03-03, 04:34   Link #209
Morbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Omen~ View Post
...as in graduation, when everyone is chatting and she comes back? the locker scene kawaii desu, but even so...
That on closes the series. That's the "for sure" that she comes back. Without that, the series ends with them apart from each other, and that's sad... I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Minorin had her future long and carefully planned. In Japan, getting married pretty much means you're retiring (though this is recently shifting).
Minorin wants to play baseball just as Sumire wants to be astronaut. A romance interferes with that goal.

So basically, Minorin would be giving up her dream of pro sports for Ryuji.

Watch a documentary called [Senkyo] Campaign about a guy running for office in Japan - his wife is also a career person (they're quite modern) and behold the *pressure* she gets from the campaign managers to retire and be a "proper housewife". It was filmed recently (2005).
trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJYUG1o22DI
review: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/...mpaign-senkyo/

My impression is that the author of Toradora! (a female) wanted to write a more complex romance in which the women were having to make hard choices themselves - she intended on shaking the male readers into some wakefulness about these creatures they chase.
Sore wa omoshiroi no nee?

Still... It sounds like a stretch. If it was meant to be deep... heh... this sounds almost weird. Still, it if was meant to be deep, we wouldn't have the three main female characters falling all for the same guy. Besides, there's no obvious correlation between career pressures and their choices in love, so I don't think it's that in particular. Specially for Minori's case, it's pretty obvious her reason is Taiga, so if Taiga didn't act like she did, she'd definitely act differently. The same didn't happen for the reppy (I forget her name), of course, but then again, Kitamura, the crazy boy he is, didn't mind being left "alone".