View Single Post
Old 2009-11-11, 01:29   Link #1518
TheAlucid

Hmm, I don't really mind 'Gary Stu'-ish main characters as long as the plot gets there properly. That being said, my impression on the term 'Gary Stu' is that it is used to describe main characters who are perfect from day one, and the series is just the author masturbating to how awesome that character is.

That is to say, I'm interested in Character development. Starting with the main character being weak, inept, and cowardly and through the course of the series (With some believable catalysts) the main character becomes strong and heroic. Or at least stops being such a fuck up.

So I wouldn't call Zenkichi a Gary Stu character, but the series would be pretty poor if he suddenly becomes amazing. I would like to see them do something about the Flask plan though, the director/principal fellow essentially said the project was designed to figure out a way to turn normal humans into geniuses; and I think this would make a good plot device with Zenkichi if utilized properly. Hopefully the series will have his strength increase at a somewhat more probabilistic rate and his relationship with Medaka develop realistically as well. If they toss Zenkichi into the Flask plan and he becomes an abnormal I wouldn't mind some chapters concerning him coming to terms with the new development; perhaps he becomes psychologically unstable and needs to find some normalcy in his life, which could tie in well with how the dynamics of his relationship with Medaka change.
TheAlucid is offline   Reply With Quote