View Single Post
Old 2010-04-25, 17:12   Link #49
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I find the lower ratings odd since I'd assume NoitaminA shows are usually geared towards people who want and need to use their brains more often than other shows.
noitaminA succeeded because they originally focused on highly mainstream concepts. It had noting to do with viewers using their brains. While Fuji did throw in the odd experimental works here and there, it was shows like H&C, Nodame, Hataraki Man, and Moyashimon (which shoot for the lowest common denominator as far as young women are concerned) that kept viewers tuned.

I think the consistent success of that slot fooled Fuji, who began to believe that the viewership was loyal enough to keep watching any quality show they put out, regardless of style/subject matter (the success of Eden of the East didn't help, as it was in fact intended for a male audience but then tailored to be more appealing for noitaminA. With a male-oriented show doing so well in terms of both noitaminA ratings and DVD sales, Fuji looked invincible). Content-wise, they began to shift away from the stuff that drove noitaminA's popularity in the first place.

Anyway, Fuji has a hell of a battle ahead of them to revive the slot. I think the demand is still there, but they'll need a mainstream power shot to draw people back.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote