View Single Post
Old 2011-08-11, 11:55   Link #4
haegar
mangaviking

I took this up and atm am at about p240ish which is end of first chap vol2. It certainly is quite eintertaining. I don't see why to appologize for the "college" humor, I laughed my ass of quite frequently. Despite the fact that it is true that logic of fights, and of "human nature" is lifelike and feels "real" I still consider it much more a comedy than a serious dark post apocalyptic manga. The artstyle might seem simplistic and unrefined to some at first but fits the setting rather well, although it is a farcry from the afore mentioned Arms peddler in both elegance and level of detail. I do appreciate the many little plot turns and twist that always suprise me as much as the hero - who is indeed refreshingly atypical compared to your average nakama-punch-em all shounen winner-by-default It has a very nice irony that often is tied to the main char.

I still wouldn't go and compare it with Arms Peddler overly much. Yeah, same setting in the dark future desert, yeah both are labeled "Seinen" but the way these two mangas make use of that setting is rather different I feel. It is true that Arms Peddler would be all the better if it HAD this one's level of "realism" of character action and human evilness and backstabbin - especially in the dark setting both play in. But all in all, to me manga have pros and cons on more than one level and in the end those balance out somehow. So for me, Arms Peddler isn't the "worse" manga, or an unduely hyped one, just because it so happens that it lacks that level of realism this one has. It has other strengths this one lacks, art, some characters that are waaay cool even though maybe their actions and motivations arent as meticolously draften on realism as this one ...

For the time being I'll enjoy finishing the manga and am looking forward to watchin the anime, though that will have to wait some time (soo much to read and watch out there )