View Single Post
Old 2012-03-24, 10:21   Link #32
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Ignoring the fact that I've seen this girl done better in other anime, I guess what bothered me the most was that people kept on saying Shu was a relatable character, yet I couldn't find a single relatable thing where Inori was concerned. This technically extends to the other characters as well, who mostly exist to make him look good, but her in particular really bothered me.
If you didn't like Inori from the start, I suppose it makes sense that you wouldn't find Shu's behavior toward her to be relatable. The way I saw it, Inori was an attractive and somewhat famous singer who was different from everyone else. Her socially subdued nature made her non-threatening to Shu, who had some socialization issues. While there was a slightly weird sequence around episode 3 or 4 (when Inori told Shu that she had just been acting the way that Gai had told her to, and that she didn't want him to get close to her), it was otherwise clear that Inori had an interest in Shu, even if she didn't know why. She was there with him at the moment that he inherited the void genome, and she was "his first" (for void removal). Together, they triumphed over a bunch of hostile forces.

I liked Inori, but as I said, it's understandable that disliking her would result in confusion over Shu's actions.

Quote:
Edit: Also, while they're in my worst anime cliches list, I have a bit of a bias for girls who act like they come from space.
There are all sorts of cliches, both in anime and in life. I'm not particularly for or against this particular character type, but at least Inori's background gave her a valid reason to behave that way. It's just unfortunate that around the time that she seemed to become "fully human," she was practically removed from the series.

Quote:
Further Edit: Also, of all the plotholes in the anime, the ones concerning her were the ones that I actually think hurt the series. Why can she jump super high through heavy fire, only to never do it again for the rest of the series, despite having many opportunities to do so? And how did she even get in trouble in Episode 1 if she could do all that?
Why didn't they use Hare's void to heal Ayase's legs? During the school quarantine period, why didn't Shu use Souta's void to put a huge dent in the barricade for everyone to escape? If Argo could take down a bunch of endlaves with a hand-held weapon at the end, why weren't they doing all of that from the start?

One of my relatives used to say something often to me when I was a young boy: "never question a fairy tale." It was what it was.