View Single Post
Old 2013-11-24, 00:22   Link #1019
DarkSoul42
Shinsen-Subs core member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan View Post
Interesting. Unfortunately, I am not qualified to debate such things. The quotes I used are copied verbatim from the Suffering Subs release. Maybe your translation is better, but I have no way of determining that. I lack the necessary skill. I'm stuck in the agnostic position, at least until I see the official Aniplex US subs.

If I understand your translation correctly,

Kyubey is still saying that (to use mostly your wording) what enabled the Incubators to observe Madoka was her becoming a 'victim' of Homura's barrier. So, I think we are in agreement on the key point.
The way I see it, Kyubey simply wanted to see "what happens" if isolated from all possible outer powers, to better understand the mechanics and didn't expect much more than proof of the witches' abilities. With a normal magical girl, things should have ended with Madokami metaphorically trying to get close and not being able to, and the Soul Gem locked in stasis until someone shut down the field.

Then, since he tried his experiment on Homura of all people, Homura's labyrinth sucked Madoka in it. I think in this instance, it helps that Homura is the only being in the universe KNOWING and ACKNOWLEDGING Madoka's existence as an actual person and more than a concept, because if you apply the "belief/cognition brings things in existence" (a la "cogito ergo sum"; think what Lordgenome says in TTGL about universe being defined by observation, and the Great Gurren Brigade being unable to pinpoint the Antispirals if not for the ring; I'm thinking a logic like this one applies here), then in Homura's labyrinth, pushed one step further, Homura's belief gave Madokami an observable shape.

So for me Kyubey wanted "to see what happens", and got far more he bargained for, thanks to Homura and her unique connection to Madoka. Then once he'd have actual PROOF of Madoka's existence and mechanics through Homura, he'd be able to eventually understand and limit it for his purposes. (Again, this is an extension of the "belief shapes reality" mindset, but I think that from the moment we have a reality-rewriting wish, this assumption is pretty safe)

As for saying whether Madokami is absolute... I guess from the moment she left behind Homura with a thread hanging, so to speak, you can't say she is absolute because it left the loophole we've seen.

(Again, the above is purely my speculation)
DarkSoul42 is offline   Reply With Quote