View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 17:09   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
It is the only thing that matters.
No, it's not. The premise behind a show does matter.

Let's say you have a choice between a well-executed high school romance comedy and an equally well-executed show with a rarer premise like what we have in Psycho-Pass right now.

I don't know about you, but I would pick the Psycho-Pass option every time if forced to choose between the two.

Fresher ideas are naturally conducive to fresher shows. Sure, good execution can also provide some of that fresh feeling, but there's no question that some narrative ideas are simply fresher (or at least less commonly used) than others. That does make a difference.

And your TTGL example is a weird one given your position. The core idea of TTGL was not done thousands of times before. TTGL was a genre reconstruction, the antithesis to NGE.

Part of what made TTGL so great was that metalevel strength to it, which is not that commonplace.

Edit: As for shows were execution made a huge difference, I definitely agree with Tari Tari. I felt that Mashiro-iro Symphony did the absolutely most it could with its core narrative concept.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-10-20 at 17:22.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote