Old 2004-06-11, 10:52   Link #46
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf

The Euro 2004 Football Championships.

1 DAY TO GO!

Becks ready for France
by Simon Fudge, SkySports.com - Last Updated 11 Jun 2004

England captain David Beckham has revealed his anticipation at facing European champions France in their Euro 2004 opener on Sunday.

The Real Madrid star knows it is a crucial match for The Three Lions, as they look to get a positive start in their Group B campaign.

The former Manchester United midfielder knows his side must perform at their highest level if they are to overcome Jacques Santini's side at Estadio de Luz.

"I think everyone is talking about the game," Beckham told a packed England press conference.

"It's a game that is important to everyone in the team and in the country because it is a game between two great nations.

"We will have to perform to the highest level. We need a standard that is definitely very high.

"The expectation from the players is very high. The French team has a lot of great players, so we do have a lot of respect for them.

"But we have great players as well and I'm sure they are aware of that.

"Once we cross that white line (on Sunday), that respect will be out the window."

Beckham added that the reported war of words between both sets of players will not affect the England squad in the final build-up to Sunday's crunch match.

"There has been a lot of things said, but we are professionals and we will keep our focus when it matters," the England skipper added.

"But there will be a lot of passion and we'll see it when we are out there."

The midfield star is determined to go for the win against France on Sunday, but accepted the fact that a draw might not be a bad result either.

"I want the win, were not looking for the draw. But if we get a draw, then the draw might be good," he said.

"The first game is very important. It doesn't come any bigger than against France.

"It's a massive challenge for the country. Hopefully, it will turn out perfect for us, but we know it's going to be a hard game. Our respect for the French team is very high.

"I'm very confident that we have a good chance (to win the tournament)."

Beckham is hoping to put in a good personal performance during the finals in Portugal and stressed that France star and Real Madrid team-mate Zinedine Zidane is not the only player they can afford to be concerned about on Sunday.

"I like to think I can have a big impact but it's not just a one-man team," said Beckham.

"It's not all about one man - all the players will be trying their best.

"We know he is a great player (Zidane), but we haven't singled him out because they have a lot of great players to contend with."

The England captain also gave praise to some of the other sides in the finals - notably hosts Portugal and their Group A opponents Spain.

"I think the Spanish team is a strong squad. They are another team that has a good chance in this competition," he said.

"The Portuguese team is very strong team, especially with the home fans behind them.

"I like Portugal as a country. The people are nice and the weather is also nice."

With fears that there may be trouble from England supporters during Euro 2004, Beckham made a simple plea to those following The Three Lions in Portugal.

"I don't need to say too much to the fans other than for to give us their support - Enjoy the football and enjoy the day," he said.

http://www.euro2004.com/

http://www.football365.com/

http://www.soccernet.com/
Scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote