View Single Post
Old 2009-09-26, 10:25   Link #72
kallesh

Quote:
One thing, why is the British/English nation caLled "Britannia" in CG, and why is it an empire? Only romans called the British isles "Britannia", and as far as I recall, medieval Britain was a monarchy, except for the titles "Empress of India" or something which I believe was given to some Queens. Also, an England/British Isles united by a celtic/anglo-saxon/germanic emperor and there by resisting Roman control should not have any British characteristics, as surely they would resist the invasion of Normandy, which I believe is the source of much of the British culture.

As far as I recall, Britain, much like Ireland/Scotland had picts/celts/gaels/anglo-saxons whom had a more tribal culture than the imperialistic Britannia in CG.
Britannia is the Roman name for the largest Island in the British Isles; Britain; and the name Britannia is often used in formal language; most heraldic mottos are in Latin for Instance; as is the song "Rule Britannia!".

Medieval Britain was a Monarchy, but during the 1600s, Britain like other European powers began to expand into the New World and the Orient.
The British Empire was the British Isles, British holdings in Europe, the Americas, Africa, Asia, Antarctica and Oceania. An emperor is a monarch also. The current Queen is Queen of the United Kingdom, Queen of the (remaining) Empire, Head of the Commonwealth, head of the Anglican Church, and Duke of Normandy.

Britannia is code geass holds few similarities with the culture of the british empire, and can be assumed to be more of an Anglo-Saxon-Celtic-Pictish state.
Modern british culture is derived from Anglo-saxon and Norman culture, but has changed so much it now bears no similarity.

Britain ceased being a tribal nation by the late 800s. When the romans invaded England and Wales the celtic tribes just became Romano-Britons. When the legions left, and the Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes and other norse/gothic tribes arrived they soon settled and created their own kingdoms like Mercia, Northumbria, The York Danewald, Wessex, Anglia etc, losing their tribal affiliations.

by the time of the British empire, British people just called themselves English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish, or used the place they came from, likre Scousers, Londoners, Mancunians, Yorkers etc. to indentify themselves.

Now however its moving back the other way, there's veyr little British nationalism, perhaps its a good thing.
kallesh is offline   Reply With Quote