View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 18:37   Link #16
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A Superman comic tends to read much "brighter" than a Batman comic but nonetheless if Superman is trying to rescue a crashing plane with lives on the line, that's a serious moment.

Strike Witches is similarly "brighter" than Fate/Zero, but nonetheless what the Strike Witches are doing is often of a serious nature. Something doesn't have to be "dark" in order to be "serious".
Superman and Batman set their own boundaries on what they will and won't include in their scenes. I'm not saying that anything lighter than Fate/Zero can have fanservice in its fight scenes. I'm saying that comparing the fights in Fate/Zero, which establishes a lack of fanservice early on, and VRO, which establishes a certain level of fanservice in its first episode, while for some reason ignoring that they establish a level of fanservice in their shows is a bad comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with some gore in Strike Witches. I don't think such gore would be out of place in Strike Witches.

Don't tell me that gore can't be mixed with cute girls because I've seen (and enjoyed) Higurashi, Umineko, and Another.
I'm not saying that either. Maybe if Strike Witches were a different show, it would have mutilation and gore. Maybe if K-On were a different show, Yui would be flying around hitting people with Excalibur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Mind you that my argument actually doesn’t refer to the overall tone of the anime, but only the tone of the fights. You see, even for a funny anime like Slayers, when the fight get serious, they make it serious. They throw all the fanservice outta the window and focus more on the spells and physical attacks, and how the fighters respond to it. So, there’s nothing wrong in comparing the fights in VRO and Fate/Zero.
I don't see how comparing yet another dissimilar anime makes your comparison any more valid. All that you've told me is that Slayers does its own thing, Fate/Zero does its own thing, VRO does its own thing, and wouldn't it be swell if VRO did the same thing Slayers did! The problem is that you're taking one element out of one show and comparing it to another show while ignoring everything else about those two shows. You're making a bad comparison because you're intentionally ignoring how the two shows function as a whole.

I'm not saying you guys aren't allowed to dislike how VRO inserts fanservice in its fights. I can completely understand your points of view in saying that it takes you out of the fight (even though I don't feel the same way). It's just a lousy comparison.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote