Thread: Crunchyroll White Album (All Episodes, 1-26)
View Single Post
Old 2009-01-23, 12:58   Link #344
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
She's very professional, but never experiment with new things, both for seiyuu work or singing.
That's simply a false statement.

Hinata from Naruto, Wrath from Fullmetal Alchemist and Misaki Kirihara of Darker than Black, all completely different characters with different vocal range and personalities by Mizuki Nana. Even in this season alone, can you honestly say that Touma of Minami-ke and the two Rinas (White Album and Rideback) are the same?

The only reason that you think she is not very experimental with voice work is that she, like many extremely famous seiyuu with too popular of a particular role from a certain anime, are type-casted. Plus she has this tendency to be starring in crappy anime that nobody watches when she does do things very differently. When the English Wiki lists Mizuki Nana as having the tendency to play timidly, withdrawn, soft spoken characters you can almost tell that the person who wrote it only watched like Naruto and Nanoha and not knowing that Mizuki Nana actually debuted by playing really genki cute characters to start off with instead (such as her Happy Lesson and Memories Off characters, both way too obscure by today's standards). She also had a period of playing not-so-intelligent characters (such as Shinobu from 2x2 Shinobuden and Kururu of Bottle Fairy), her former recent trend of getting slotted into the more with-held, quiet thinker type characters is undoubtly due to the popularity of Fate of Nanoha. And now her playing more natural sounding young adult type can be addressed to the success of her role as Kotoko in Itazura no Kiss.

When people say Hirano Aya is amazing in range for doing multiple "voices" and pan Mizuki Nana in the same breathe for being dull, I can't help but cringe, seriously. Since for every "extreme" voices you name for Aya, I'm fairly certain I can match it tit-for-tat with another "extreme" from Nana. But then again, I've said it a long time ago that something like this is just bread-and-butter for being a seiyuu, so it is not something worth boasting about for any seiyuu fans trying to claim to be knowledgable. In fact I don't think it is far fetched for me to say only newbies and noobs will proclaim how good a seiyuu is by how different they can sound. It's sort of like anime fans trying to claim how "good" a certain show is by how "original" the story is - because you should all know the dangers of that by now - chances are it's being done before, just that the person making such claims haven't seen it yet and ends up making a fool of himself by showing off how little he has seen.

The singing bit is very well explained already by others, her style and the genre of music she had tried has changed much over the years. Heck you can even take 1 single to see what range of songs she can sings and tries - Starcamp ED. Astrogation is electric beat Jpop, Cosmic Love is cutie pop, Dancing in the Velvet Moon has gothic influence, and Soradoke is a soft ballad! You have to be delibrately blind to the difference she is capable of to say things like she doesn't experiment (or you've only listened to her anime opening/ending themes from Nanoha). You can argue she isn't very good at all the things she tries (I certainly don't think she is good at everything, I don't find her cute voice to work that well, and I don't like her recent dabbing into R&B very much either), but saying she doesn't experiment is simply and completely untrue.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote