View Single Post
Old 2012-12-03, 16:54   Link #130
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
I'd say an economic invasion is still an actual invasion.
In that case, global trade should all cease to exist then.

Quote:
China offering to buy oil assets from Canada should also elicit a response that considers factors beyond economics. It should factor in strategic considerations. It's that simple.
Because China is going to strangulate Canada with a couple sub-par oil fields right? What major are you in again? You realize if war really starts, Canada can send up the monties (or whatever you pass for police) and re-nationalize the oil fields right?

I would be more concerned if BP brought the oil than COCC....after all, China don't have a track record of regime change if the local government impose labor laws.

Quote:
In your crazy example: If the U.S. ever sent us a threatening letter saying they want our oilsands for nominal consideration, we'd have to figure out a response - petition NATO, find allies, determine cost of conflict, apply political pressure, negotiate in the best interests of the nation, etc etc. Strategic considerations.
And at the end of the day, hand off the place without serious consideration. BTW, the Pentagon has a war plan to crush Canada, the PLA don't.

Quote:
Side Bar -- Your thinking still seems to be of an Imperialistic standpoint. Point is, the U.S. would actually never do it. In a modern world, conquering a place to secure assets isn't economically feasible -- what do you think happened to Spain's economy with the influx of South American gold?
I thought we couldn't bring up pre-late 20th century examples? Plus, Spain couldn't figure out what to do with a massive gold wealth, that is their own problem...

Quote:
Second Side Bar -- I don't want to get in to this on a thread like this, but what do you think Economics and Capitalism even is? They are respectively: 1) A study and discipline on the allocation of scarce resources and 2) It's fundamentally just a crowdsourcing mechanism to allocate the productive capacity of a society. It's efficient and inefficient in different ways and has certain flaws and weaknesses. Why do states tax companies in the first place? Heck, why do corporations have a mandate to earn profits? Think on this, do the research, we can continue these conversations in private if necessary.
In the end, you believe China's willingness to purchase an Canadian oil firm with subpar oil source to be a sinister security threat, but see nothing wrong with American invasion of Iraq. Case closed.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote