Thread: Licensed Princess Principal
View Single Post
Old 2017-09-24, 16:41   Link #402
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The series had a nice tune, and ended on a good note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Really enjoyed the series, but I don't feel a single plot point brought up in the first 80% of the series was resolved. Hell, thinking about it, I don't think a single one of those plot points progressed at all; they only got further explanation. Even the plot point that DID get resolved (this revolution) was only partially resolved.

If this doesn't get continued it's going to leave a really bad taste in my mouth.
Think you're looking at it wrong.

The way I would describe the series is as having a lot of present-tense backstory. (the episode chronology pretty much works to that end too)

One way to see the structured is that there are a lot of pieces, but many of the pieces serve only to illustrate other pieces. Why do the common wealth and empire hate each other, because of the various politics that were brought up. Why is the princess in the position she's in, because of the various politics. Why is Cise there, because of the politics. It's unfortunate but the so called "unresolved mysteries" are simply required one way or another due to the nature of the main elements. Or else it's all very empty and hand wavy. It's similar to how say in a more what-you-would-expect series you would have character with shitty parenting or some form of relationship with another as his motivation for his personality but it never gets particularly resolved. In this case they just shine the spotlight on that kind of thing a lot more (but still dont resolve it).

Does this mean the series can get revisited and have those plot points tied up? Of course. Likely their intention. But I think it works great standalone as well, at least the way it was done here.

I personally think the ending is quite genius. By having so many little ends you never really know how it's exactly going to end. Here are a few other outcomes for example,
  • the revolution plot works
  • the conflict is resolved but the girls die
  • the wall is brought down, but its war

On the other hand, if EVERYTHING got resolved (and we have plenty of series where that happens) then it's a bit of a wash. Personally everything getting scrubbed clean is what leaves a bad taste in my mouth, since it's a betrayal of one of the premises of the tension: the situation is mostly unsolvable with out major sacrifices, and the characters are in the middle but have very limited influence.

However I'll concede that this is very much a matter of taste, rather then analytical. Just like with the somewhat recent sherlock series you either thought it was great re-imagining or you thought "What? Did he just pull that impossible to guess piece of info out of his ass?" depending on where your sensibilities and expectations are. Neither are wrong. It's just like a magic trick, it works and you're amazed, or it doesn't work and everyone's embarrassed.