View Single Post
Old 2008-07-16, 11:11   Link #464
March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
*snaps fingers* So what you guys are saying is...
All I'm saying is the Macross 1 had no shell, the Macross 5, 7 and 25/Frontier do have shells and MAYBE the early Macross vessels like Macross 1 could have had retractable slot-like armor (such as those recently seen on the Frontier's cylinder-shaped Islands). However, I don't think the City 1 had such armor; personally, I think it was just the dome, much like the Megaroad ships.

As far as the VF-171's power fist, pin-point barriers and glowing knives, the lack of information about the mecha is a killer. For now, it seems one reasonable theory is as good as another. I've often thought that since the embracing of Energy Converting Armor, the fighter-carried pin-point barrier was a bit superfluous. Why spend extra weight, space and power on a defensive system like the pin-point barrier when you can likely just improve the Energy Converting Armor? But that's just me. I think the VF-171 has a pin-point barrier and that's likely what it used to punch that small Vajra into scrap.

Regarding the combat knives, it's my personal theory they are not pin-point barriers but variations on the Energy Converting Armor. Basically the weapon is supercharged to make it incredibly strong and resilient just like armor, but when used offensively in a blade, it can be used to penetrate any armored shell; an "energy converting knife" if you will. But it's just a theory.

Also, just to note, the pin-point barrier is not limited to only three defensive energy spheres. The Macross 7 was shown using almost 10 pin-point barrier spheres simultaneously.
March is offline   Reply With Quote