Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-28, 12:44   Link #549
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I admit that I expected Taichi's secret to be something else. Especially after he said that he would be rejected by society for it. To be honest, I expected something involving that little sister of his. Have I been watching too much anime??
As soon as that scene started I saw that the only thing that would be coming out of it would be a joke and nothing more.

This episode completely shattered the hopes I had for this show: for a while there I saw a glimpse of potential for something amazing from this, a hint that maybe (just maybe) there was a great story lurking beneath the cliché school-life drama but this 4th episode was proof I was just getting my hopes up for nothing and we'll get an above average harem show at best.

Taichi is moving deeper into Touma territory by being so amazingly selfless and without a fault to be seen for miles. If he keeps going any further could be nominated for sainthood! Also: the supposed comical scenes of the show just keep on coming out flat most of the time.

That particular scene with Iori cracking a joke before spilling the beans lacked so much emotion that I was hard pressed to find any attachment to the character. I was at first tempted to fault the key animator for not having the ability (or most likely the budget) to properly convey the emotions and movements required for the scene but latter on the show it became clear that it's a mix of that with the director not having that final extra that would raise those scenes above the average that they are and a source material that is either equally lacklustre or is being followed to the letter without much regard to the medium transition.

I'm not usually one to notice so many failings on a show and maybe it's just me but I truly think that those were the main failings on this episode in particular but also on the whole show in general. The comedy elements are coming across as so average (and sometimes even dull) that I don't even react to them, it's a true shame.

On a more positive note the seiyuu have been doing an absolutely amazing work in this show and both the opening and ending credits are absolutely fantastic along with the visuals for the latter one. And overall the show is still quite a bit above average so I'm not dropping it any time soon. At least there's that.

PS: btw, the next episode seems to deal with the jump seen on the second PV going by the preview on the current weeks episode.