View Single Post
Old 2008-08-14, 04:00   Link #284
Rin Tohsaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
Wow. I would never guess that. Rin is italian and he/she didn't understand it, and I can understand italian fairly well and I was clueless.
Yes, I'm italian (and female!>w<) And as I said before...I had an impression that it was latin (with a bit of italian maybe) too!
I heard that "primitivi" and it's surely latin, and I have to say that if my ears aren't wrong, I've heard something like: "Ancora non cambi\canti sai...?" it's difficult to understand it clearly!^^"
If this was right the line would means "You aren't changing\singing yet, you know...?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
As for the accent, well, maybe the choir in the beginning never sang in italian before. We all know that japanese people have dificulties pronouncing different words, just look at their engrish.
That's true!^__^ Probably the song was sung in italian (with a bit of latin), but if they mispelled almost all of the words...then that's not strange that I wasn't able to understand it!>___< Another example is the Ed of Gunslinger Girl! It's called "Dopo il sogno" that means: "After the dream", I couldn't understand all of the lyric! Since she didn't spell the words always perfectly...^^" And the lyrical sing isn't simple to understand even when an italian tenor sings!^___^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiast88 View Post
Italian is not similar to Latin, and all romance languages are certainly not alike (I would know, I'm french, and spanish and italian are not intelligible to me). The same way, German is not similar to English. There is 2000 years of difference; yes, one evolved from the other, but that doesn't make them "alike".
Tobiast is totally right!^___^ Italian descend from latin, but it's a whole different language! Spanish and Italian have some similarities for example, but they are two different language too!^-^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or are there some different dialects of Italian that might make it harder to understand from one part of the country to another.
(Sort of like some accents of English can't really be understood by other accents of English. Like say take someone who is Scottish Highlander and someone who is a Texan. They practically require a translator.)
I exclude it! I don't know how it is for the english accents, but here in Italy you may not understand other accents when you hear them, but at least you're able to recognize which dialect is, and some words are the same in a lot of accents!^___^ What's more, I don't think that they would do a song in an Italian dialect! That wouldn't make sense! Italian or Latin is possible, but I would exclude the dialect...
Rin Tohsaka is offline   Reply With Quote