View Single Post
Old 2008-06-30, 13:25   Link #1618
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
pardon the dp - was answering each question seperately, figured to make it easier than having one mass wall of text for two different peopele.

入れる(いれる)[G2] put ~ into (transitive)
入る(はいる)[G1] to enter (instransitive)

I think slightly different than what tripperazn was asking, but you'd be able to tell which reading it is by the particle used before it and generally the context of the entire sentence.

As for 'iru', i ended up with this:
入る 【いる】 (v5r,vi) (See 気に入る) to get in; to go in; to come in; to flow into; to set; to set in; (P)

For the example 'ki ni iru' = to become concerned, it's just a case of memorising it together with the 'ki' kanji.
But on it's own, i've not seen it used, to be honest, iru tends to be written in hiragana typically for common usage.
It's mostly a matter of usage, though iru is the historical form of both; hairu originates from the compound verb haiiru (這い入る), which has the approximate meaning of "to slip inside" or "to come in quietly". Colloquial usages being what they are, it's not hard to see the meaning slide to something more general and equivalent to iru (thus taking on the same kanji and nearly replacing the original word).

As a side note, ireru was also originally written iru in its base form. It was only distinguishable in its other conjugations, where it took on the familiar ire- stem.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote