View Single Post
Old 2009-11-04, 15:54   Link #49
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I don't see how it's bad writing. Squado had a grudge against Roger, and the marines used that to their advantage. Squado considered Whitebeard to be a traitor because Akainu deceived him into thinking that the old man held the life of his sworn enemy's son in higher regard than any of his NW allies. It just goes to show that Squado's hatred for Roger was stronger than his loyalty to Whitebeard, and his emotions ended up helping the marines turn the tides in their favor. As I said before, this is psychological warfare. It may seem dirty and cheap, but it had its desired effect. Besides, the marines can't really afford to play fair when they're up against some of the strongest pirates in the world.......
You can try to rationalize it up to a point, but that doesn't make the fact he fell for it any easier to believe imo. For one thing, he should know full well that WB would never do anything like this. And worse, he trusted the marines in favor of WB. He should have been suspicious that they 1) conveniently managed to contact him 2) why would they leak information to him about their own deal 3) the marines are unlikely to make such a deal to begin with (just like WB wouldn't).

I would have preferred it if Squado found out about Ace being Roger's son somewhere in the past, and his hatred for Roger made him resent Ace until the order to rescue Ace made him turn against WB. But not triggered by this farfetched story about a deal between WB and the marines, that he never should have believed at all.