View Single Post
Old 2012-10-22, 17:53   Link #71
Balzac
Assistant Professor

I'll leave it at that because I can't and won't speak for your experience (It's your own unique one after all).

But if you were to ask a visual novel veteran like me - there's really no difference among the Key games in terms of style. To be more specific, Clannad, AIR, Kanon and Little Busters!, the "mainstream" games, all offered the same Key "vibe". A persistent air of mystery surrounding carefree, sometimes sugar sweet happy days, sprinkled with one of the best comedy in visual novel history. (This is further reinforced by the school life setting) It is then followed by a sucker punch, a low blow, a tragedy that bleeds your emotions and leaves you hanging, to be then followed by an eventual, resounding triumph. I mention the above games, because their other games for me did not offer the same vibe.

What makes Little Busters! unique is its specific emphasis on hijinks - after all, they are high schoolers. I remember my high school days long long ago and while I may not have been as innocent as the Little Busters, doing a lot of idiotic things that would make Masato blush, I knew it was all a part of high school life. There is particular emphasis on the pranks, the games, practicing for baseball, horsing around, the jokes, the girl and guy get-togethers. For folks who taste the vast gamut of anime, it might be off-putting perhaps. But it is what it is on the surface - friends being friends at school.