View Single Post
Old 2008-03-31, 10:30   Link #252
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I will have to disagree here. Everything was right, except storytelling--how the scene was presented, and that ruined everything. To me, the scene completely missed its mark. I agree with relentlessflame that it was obvious at that point Shin was trying to sever his feelings and that he was not confused. However, it wasn't emotional at all, and I seriously cringe at its presentation.

For an anime like this, the "fly" and "true tears" portion should have been better integrated into its romance aspect, and that is all I have to say. The plot itself was unnecessarily confusing, and the ending wasn't as powerful as I would have liked. It was sort of like True Tears tried to copy Air/Haibane Renmei and failed, because they laid out the backbone for some powerful symbolic theme but everyone figured out what was going to happen by episodes 11-12 and its romance ended the story. For me True Tears ended a long time ago, and it doesn't really matter which girl wins after that. True Tears completely missed the mark, but it was wonderful romance-wise.
Maybe I just don't know where you're going with this, but could you clarify on the "fly" and "true tear" parts not being better integrated into the romance?

They were as integral to the romance as possible from all three characters' standpoints in my opinion.

Shin flew because Noe inspired him to fly and that was the basis for why she entered into his heart, just as he cried his true tears as he had to watch her fly away from him with his feelings. Hiromi's true tears came at the end of 10 and 13 as Shin and her's feelings are finally reaching each other.

That takes care of both Shin and Noe flying as serving as the basis for the romantic aspect of their relationship as well as integrating Shin and Hiromi's true tears into the romance. Noe's true tears come at the end of 13 as she finally is able to accept everything and what it means to her.

I see everything as coming back to what Shin says at the end about how "if you think about the person truly dear to you, the tears will flow naturally", but in a romantic sense both the flying and true tears are well integrated with this approach in mind.