View Single Post
Old 2008-07-05, 07:07   Link #336
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Wait! That's not ickem that you're replying to! It's... a straw man?

Your argument was impressive, but it had nothing to do with what was originally posted. You took a general statement about Ranka's attitude in her everyday life and applied it out of context to a specific, but extraordinary, situation.

But this discussion really should go in the Ranka thread.
Yeah? And in the last few episodes, exactly what were the situations Ranka "should have been able to deal with on her own"?

I won't deny that Ranka often relies on her friends for advice and support. Why not, if she has them? It doesn't make her weak, it just makes her not-a-loner. Admittedly, she's still emotionally needy. So's Luka. And Michel's occasionally a jerk and a playboy. And Alto's a jerk and a hothead. And Sheryl's pushy and arrogant. They all have their flaws. Some of them are even growing somewhat out of them.

I won't deny either that at the start of the series, Ranka was pretty helpless and timid. That's because Macross Frontier is, among other things, the story of her growth. How, little by little, she learns to deal with her fears and insecurities. Ep12 was a turning point. Instead of damsel in distress, she became the heroine. To paraphrase Sheryl, she did what she could. So what if what she can do doesn't include fighting or piloting?

I know she's a far cry from Sheryl's confidence and decisiveness. Not everyone can be born that way. For all we know, Sheryl wasn't born that way. That doesn't make Ranka worthless.