View Single Post
Old 2004-05-20, 22:56   Link #45
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Anyways, a little off topic here. There's a question that I've been wondering. I mean, in all the animes I've seen, the school girl uniforms all have extremely short skirts. Short as in, barely covering the essentials. You know what I'm talking about. Do school girls in Japan dress like that? Or are the school uniforms in Japan that provocative? Can someone from Japan clear this up for me?
Schools set their own standards for dress policy. While some strict conservative schools prohibit girls in wearing skirts above the knee-line, it is generally accepted that most skirts are in the range of 5-10 cm above the knee-line. When I was in middle school, the girls wore skirts that were 5 cm below the knee-line. In high-school, the girls wore skirts that were 5 cm above the knee-line.

However I've seen some as high as 15-20cm above the knee-line, but those are pretty rare, and I am almost certain those are out-of-bounds with their school dress policies. But then again, what they do outside of campus after school is their own decision...and responsibility.

Japan has a lot of stairs. The train stations rarely has any elevators (makes you wonder why the term "disabled access" gives you strange looks here), so wearing too short of a skirt will make some lecher peep up in the staircase. You would think "hey I can get to peep girl's underwear!" Ah- but here in lies the misconception that many oil-battered oyajis and misguided gaijins seem to get...girls usually wear spats underneath so you don't get to see "panchila" as you do in anime. Its actually pretty darn amusing to see their faces turn from excitement to disappointment when they realize this. Welcome to reality.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote