View Single Post
Old 2012-05-26, 09:04   Link #26039
Appel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providenceangle View Post
Having worked in the plastic industry, I've learned a thing or two about hot injection molding. It's very hard to do things like panel lines on a mold and keep consistent flow throughout the mold process. You see this when bandai tries to make special colours, where you see the flow lines in the plastic. Lots of other issues as well, such as flash(heavy flow causing excess plastic on the parts). I've seen times working on a machine for hours to get one hour of good parts! Lots of factors contribute to it, such as the machine, the maintenance of said machine, the operator of the machine...

It's not as simple as putting details on a mold either. It's extremely expensive to engineer a mold. If it's a high shine part, it requires polished chrome plating. An even more expensive process.

The fact that bandai is able to produce what they do is impressive from my point of view, having worked many aspects of their production.
i know what you mean! it really isnt that simple and i can see why they would want to cut down on costs a little.
plus, when i compare it to other brands like revell then the quality of their models is even more impressive! the revell kits look like someone made the lining channels with a butterknife :P
and im not mad when a kit like the marasai looks a little less detailed. because i like models that look exactly like they did in the anime!
also, other new kits like the MG duel have an insane amount of details! so we are getting both and they are doing it appropriately.
the marasai is a kit from an old show so it gets less details while the duel is from a show that is just now being remastered in HD so it gets more details. makes sense to me!
kits with an oldschool look already worked out well for them with all the MG 2.0 kits, too.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote